GENERAL MOTORS OF CANADA COMPANY
SCOPE AND OVERVIEW
Key points about our information practices:
We may collect information about you and your vehicle, such as name, address, email address, phone number, vehicle identification number (VIN) and vehicle performance data through your use of our products or services, and through GM affiliates, dealers, GM partners and others who provide information to us. Click here to learn more.
We may use your information to provide products and services, to maintain customer relationships, for safety and product research purposes, to provide customer and vehicle support and service, to communicate with you, and for targeted marketing and advertising purposes. Click here to learn more.
We may share your information as required or permitted by law, within GM, with our GM controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, with GM dealers, with our service providers, and with our business partners. Click here to learn more.
You have choices regarding how we use and share your information for marketing and other purposes. Click here to learn more.
Cookies and Tracking
We work with third party advertising companies to collect information about your activity on GM and non-GM websites and apps over time and across your different devices in order to deliver more relevant advertising to you. Click here to learn more.
GM has developed certain mobile applications that you may download to your mobile device or vehicle ("GM Applications"). When you download a GM Application, there may be an opportunity for you to provide us with or for us to obtain information about you or your vehicle. Click here to learn more.
Third Party Products and Services
GM and GM dealers are separate legal entities with their own privacy practices. For questions about your dealer's privacy practices including opting out of marketing communications from your dealer, please contact your dealer directly. Click here to learn more.
Access and Update
You may access your online accounts to update your information or you may contact us to learn about how to do so. Click here to learn more.
We maintain reasonable and adequate security controls to protect your information and require our service providers by contract to do the same. Click here to learn more.
We keep information for as long as necessary to provide our products and services, operate our business, and comply with legal obligations. Click here to learn more.
GM websites do not target or knowingly collect any information from children under the age of majority. Click here to learn more.
International Data Transfers
We maintain appropriate protections for cross-border transfers as required by law for international data transfers. Click here to learn more.
As you interact with GM, there may be opportunities for you to provide us with your information. Additionally, we may collect certain information about you or your vehicle as further described below.
We also receive information about you through vehicle sales and service records provided by your dealer and we may obtain, with your consent, data obtained from your vehicle's Event Data Recorder ("EDR") as described in your owner's manual (i.e., how various systems in your vehicle operate, the speed and distance of your vehicle). For additional information about EDR data, please see your owner's manual.
We also may obtain information about you and your vehicle from GM affiliates, GM divisions, GM partners (for example, credit card partners, bank partners, financing partners, SiriusXM, etc.) and other sources such as companies that provide lists of potential vehicle purchasers and current owners, if such companies are permitted to share your information with us pursuant to their privacy statements and applicable law.
The types of information that GM collects about you may include, but are not limited to:
- contact information (such as name, address, city, province, postal code, email address and telephone number)
- payment information (such as your credit card number, CVV code and expiration date)
- information about your vehicle (such as license plate number, vehicle identification number (VIN), make, model, model year, selling dealer, servicing dealer, date of purchase or lease, the lease/financing term and other loan-related information, service history, mileage, oil/battery status, fuel or charging history, electrical system function, gear status, and diagnostic trouble codes)
- information about your connected devices (such as mobile phone, computer, or tablet) and how you interact with our products, services, apps and websites (such as IP address, browser type, unique device identifier, cookie data, and associated identifying and usage information
- demographic information (such as gender, date of birth, marital status and household composition)
- marketing profile information including purchasing patterns and preferences (such as when you plan to purchase or lease; the vehicle in which you're interested)
- photographs and videos such as those that you may submit for contests, sweepstakes or social sharing
- relationships you have with GM in addition to the purchase and servicing of your vehicle (such as through GM Dealers, GM Credit Card, OnStar, Maven etc.)
- incentive eligibility verification information (such as school name, branch of service or company name for vehicle purchase programs)
The information GM collects about you and your vehicle may be used:
- to provide products and services and maintain customer relationships
- to improve the quality, safety and security of our products and services
- to administer your account(s) and process your payments for products and services
- to operate our websites and applications, including online registration processes
- to administer your participation in contests or promotions
- to autofill data fields on our websites to improve your online experience
- to develop new products and services, including connected, autonomous and car-sharing products and services
- to provide customer and vehicle support and service (such as recall information)
- for warranty administration and validation
- to provide information and product updates
- to evaluate vehicle performance and safety as described in the vehicle owner manual
- for research, evaluation of use, and troubleshooting purposes
- to verify eligibility for vehicle purchase or incentive programs
- for marketing and analytics purposes, including to display targeted advertising
- to support the electronic signature process between you and your dealer
- to customize and improve our interactions with you and personalize your experience with GM
- to comply with legal, regulatory or contractual requirements
Communications with you in connection with these uses may be via mail, telephone, e-mail, text message, social media and other electronic messages, through the in-vehicle OnStar system or via our websites and applications. Communications may contain information regarding products or services, events, special offers, promotions and contests offered by GM, its affiliates, partners and/or the originating dealer and may be tailored based on information we have about you. GM may send you text messages using an automated telephone dialing system to the mobile phone number you have provided if you have opted in to receive text/SMS messages standard data and message rates may apply. See "Choices" below to learn how to manage your communication preferences.
You may choose to forward information from one of our websites or emails to another person through our Forward to a Friend program. Email addresses submitted to our E-card or other Forward to a Friend programs will not be captured for later use in marketing unless the recipient opts into receiving additional marketing materials from GM. You must only submit information about individuals with whom you have a close personal or family relationship, and who would want to receive the Forward to a Friend message.
GM may share the information it collects about you or your vehicle in the following instances:
- within GM, with our GM controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, and with GM dealers
- with our service providers who work on our behalf (such as hosting our websites, sending emails and other communications, conducting customer research, managing and analyzing data, providing advertising services) and who do not have an independent right to use the information to which they have access or that we provide to them
- with our business partners for GM marketing activities, business partner marketing activities or both (e.g. we may share certain information, including contact and vehicle identification information, with SiriusXM in connection with the satellite radio hardware installed in your vehicle and the associated services and products provided by SiriusXM)
- with third parties for research and development purposes (such as university research institutes for improving highway safety)
- in connection with the prospective or completed sale, transfer or financing of a significant part of a GM business or its assets, including any such activities associated with a bankruptcy proceeding
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a law enforcement request
- as required or permitted by applicable law, such as in conjunction with a subpoena, government inquiry, litigation, dispute resolution or similar legal process (which may include lawful access by US or other foreign courts, law enforcement or governmental agencies).
Apart from the purposes listed above, GM will not share information about you or your vehicle with other third parties for their independent use without your prior consent.
You have certain choices regarding how we use and share your information (e.g. marketing and related purposes):
- To make choices about whether you would like to receive GM marketing communications (including telephone, direct mail, email, text message or other electronic communications), contact us (see "How to Contact Us" below for contact information). For email and text message communications, you may also follow the unsubscribe instructions in the message/communication you receive;
- To change previously submitted opt-out preferences, please contact us (see "How to Contact Us" below for contact information).
We place pixel tags and web beacons in our emails to measure the effectiveness of our email campaigns by identifying the individuals who open or act upon an email message, when an email message is opened, how many times an email message is forwarded, the type of software, device, operating system and browser used to deliver the email and any URL accessed through our email message.
At this time, we do not honor "do no track" signals from a web site browser. However, you may refuse or delete cookies. Please refer to your browser Help instructions to learn more about cookies and other technologies and how to manage their use. If you elect to refuse or delete cookies, you will need to repeat this process if you use another computer, or change browsers. If you choose to decline cookies, some of the functionality of a website may be impaired.
We work with third party advertising networks and other advertising and personalization partners that use their own tracking technologies (including cookies and pixel tags) on GM and non-GM websites and apps in order to provide you with tailored advertisements on our behalf across the Internet (including on social networking websites and apps). These companies may collect information about your activity over time and across your different devices on GM and non-GM websites and apps (such as web pages you visit and your interaction with our advertising and other communications) and use this information to make predictions about your preferences, develop personalized content and deliver ads that are more relevant to you on third party websites and apps. This information may also be used to evaluate our online advertising campaigns or to tailor promotions or other marketing messages to you across your devices.
GM adheres to the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada's Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising (www.youradchoices.ca). If you do not wish to receive personalized advertising or content from participating third-party advertising companies while visiting GM web sites, you may click on the AdChoices icon or link located on the web site or visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada's Opt-Out page. If you do not wish to receive personalized advertising or content from participating third-party advertising companies on non-GM websites, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada's Opt-Out page or click on the AdChoices icon on a GM advertisement and follow the instructions on how to opt out. To learn more about interest-based advertising in mobile apps and to opt out of this type of advertising by third-party advertising companies that participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada's AppChoices tool, please download the version of AppChoices for your device at https://youradchoices.ca/appchoices/.
Opting out of relevant advertising will not opt you out of all advertising, but rather only those advertisements that are personalized to your interests by GM or its service providers.
To successfully opt-out, you must have cookies enabled in your web browser. Please see your browser's instructions for information on cookies and how to enable them. Your opt-out only applies to the web browser you use so you must opt-out of each web browser on each device that you use. Once you opt out, if you delete your browser's saved cookies, you may need to opt-out again.
We may also use services provided by third-party platforms (such as social networking and other websites) to serve targeted advertisements on such platforms to you or others, and we may provide a hashed version of your email address or other information to the platform provider for such purposes. To opt-out of the use of your information for such purposes, please contact our customer care center at 1-800-GM-DRIVE (1 800 463-7483).
Through the Infotainment system, GM may also offer applications developed by third parties ("3rd Party Application"). When you download a 3rd Party Application to your mobile device or vehicle, the 3rd Party Application may collect information about you in connection with your download or use of that application. GM is not responsible for the collection or use of information by 3rd Party Applications. We recommend that you carefully review the privacy statement of each 3rd Party Application prior to downloading or using them.
THIRD PARTY SERVICES, APPLICATIONS AND WEBSITES
GM and GM dealers are separate legal entities with their own privacy practices. For questions about your dealer's privacy practices including opting out of marketing communications from your dealer, please contact your dealer directly.
When you buy or lease a vehicle from a GM dealer, the dealer will share your information with GM. Please be aware that each dealer operates as a separate legal entity and you should read the dealer's privacy statement to ensure that you understand its privacy practices and procedures. Additionally, because the GM dealer often is the first contact with you, the dealer can answer any questions you may have about its privacy practices. While GM encourages its dealers to ensure full compliance with all applicable privacy legislation and has provided information to our dealers relating to privacy obligations, GM is not responsible for dealers' compliance with applicable law.
ACCESS AND UPDATE
You may contact us, as provided under "How to Contact Us" below, to request to access, review, correct, update, or delete the information about you in our records subject to limited exceptions set out under applicable law. We may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, to complete any transactions that you began prior to your request, or for other purposes as required or permitted by applicable law.
HOW WE SAFEGUARD YOUR INFORMATION
We maintain reasonable and adequate technical, administrative, and physical security and confidentiality measures designed to help protect your information from unauthorized access or acquisition. We also require by contract that third party services providers acting on our behalf or with whom we share your information also undertake to provide such security and confidentiality measures in accordance with industry standards.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
We may keep the information we collect for as long as necessary to provide products or services to you, to operate our business, to enable us to communicate with you, for our safety, research, evaluation of use, or troubleshooting purposes, or to satisfy our legal or contractual obligations. Where required, we will anonymize or dispose of the information we collect when we no longer need it for the uses described above.
GM websites do not target or knowingly collect any information from children under the age of majority.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
We store your information in Canada, the United States, the European Economic Area (EEA), and other locations where we or our service providers maintain servers. With respect to such transfers between Canada, the EEA, the United States and other non-EEA jurisdictions, we implement standard contractual clauses and other mechanisms to protect such data. Your information may be accessible by law enforcement, governmental agencies or courts in the country where the data is processed or stored pursuant to a lawful access request in accordance with the laws of that jurisdiction. You may contact us, as set out below, in order to receive information about our policies and practices with respect to service providers outside of Canada.
HOW TO CONTACT US
- 1-800-GM-DRIVE (1 800 463-7483);
- By mail at 1908 Colonel Sam Drive, Oshawa, Ontario L1H 8P7, Attention: Privacy Coordinator, Mail Code: CA1-163-005; or
- By email at [email protected] with the term "Privacy" in the subject line
If you have questions about the Scotiabank GM Visa Card or would like to update the contact information associated with this card please call Scotiabank customer service.
Effective date: April 6, 2018
Last modified: April 6, 2018